It’s very common to hurry when you decide which things you should take to the hospital. In the majority of cases, the mother might never know when she is going to deliver. So, it is essential always to be prepared. A hospital bag is something that everyone should take to the hospital with them. To know in a fast way what you should take, you can use a hospital bag checklist. A hospital bag checklist will let you know what you should take with you to survive the experience.
When To Pack A Hospital Bag For Moms
One of the most common questions people ask is, “when should I pack the hospital bag?”. Even though there isn’t a strict time for you to do so, there are certain things you should know. In addition, it might depend on whether the woman feels like she is going to labor early. If there is any risk of going to labor early, you might want to do the hospital bag checklist before. Doing the bag at around 35 weeks into your pregnancy is a good time to do so. On the other hand, doing the hospital bag checklist between 37 and 38 weeks is okay if it’s regular labor.
Hospital Bag Essentials
There are some things in your hospital bag checklist that you should always take. These things are going to be helpful for the first day and the trip to the hospital:
- Your driver’s license
- Hospital papers
- It would be best if you bring your phone’s charger.
- Comfortable clothes for both parents
- Comfortable clothes for the baby
- Install a baby’s car seat (A few weeks before you’re due, install yours and get it inspected by a certified technician)
Hospital Bag Checklist for Moms: Labor and Delivery
The mother is the one that should take with her the most things. Being in labor is not an easy task, and she might need a lot of things. There are some items that you should always include in your hospital bag checklist. With those items, giving birth will be a little more bearable for the mother. In addition, take into consideration that mothers might stay between 2 and 4 days in the hospital. Ask your hospital what services they offer to mothers, and take those things off your hospital bag checklist. If you do all of these things, you won’t need any item that won’t be in your bag.
- Personal Items. Some things that should be in your hospital bag checklist are the following: brush, toothbrush, shampoo, conditioner, and deodorant.
- Clothing: You will be already taking with you some comfortable clothes in your hospital bag checklist. However, it would be ideal if you also took some lighter clothes that are easier to pack.
- Entertainment/Food: The mom should have things to distract herself. This is very personal, but our suggestion is to listen to some music. In addition, snacks are also welcomed if the doctor lets you.
- Miscellaneous Items: You should take some things that make you comfortable. A pillow or family photos are always welcomed in your hospital bag checklist. You can also take any item you want.
Hospital Bag Checklist for Babies
Babies should also be taken into consideration for the hospital bag checklist. At the end of the day, you are in the hospital for the baby. So, it would be best if you also took things that will keep him comfortable. These are some things that you should take with you for your hospital bag checklist:
- Many Bodysuits: It is essential to take a lot of comfortable clothes for your baby. You should know what the hospital can provide and buy the rest. In addition, the bodysuit should be of high quality. In addition, it’s a good idea to choose those that fasten up at the front.
- Socks: Socks are going to keep your newborn from being cold. Bear in mind that the temperature inside and outside the womb is very different.
- An Outfit For Going Home: Your baby will eventually go to your house, and you should be prepared for it. Bring with your clothes for your baby to wear when you are going home.
Hospital Bag Checklist for Partners
Partners should also be prepared with a hospital bag checklist. Many times, partners don’t consider themselves. As a result of this, they don’t add many things to the hospital bag checklist. Thanks to this, they aren’t as helpful as they could be. So, here are some of the thing’s partners should take:
- Personal Items: The partner needs to take their items too. If the partner doesn’t have anything for themselves, it can be a burden for the mother. That’s why you should make sure to take all the personal items you need.
- Clothing: Partners should also take into consideration their clothes for the hospital bag checklist. A lot of times, partners don’t take into consideration how much time they can stay in the hospital. As a result, they only bring very few clothes.
- Entertainment/Food: These are other things that the partner should take too. Partners should take things to pass the time and reduce the stress. Taking earphones to play music on or a book to relax are great choices. Food is another essential thing to keep in mind. In every partner’s hospital bag checklist should be a lot of snacks. Take snacks to share with the mother too. Also, look into restaurants nearby that deliver.
The Bottom Line
We talked about some of the many things that should be in any hospital bag checklist. This is a crucial topic that is a lot of times looked over. However, having the right things in your hospital bag checklist can make the birth a better experience. There is no need to suffer more from birth, so take many things that will make you comfortable. In addition, you are free to add whatever you need to the hospital bag too. Everyone is different, and they might need different things. So, we hope you found this article useful in preparing your hospital pack checklist!